Warm Audio Tone Beast TB12 Tone Shaping Microphone Preamp
Or just $16 per month*0% Interest for 36 Months**
On select purchases $299 or more with your Sam Ash card now thru 10/31/21. 36-equal monthly payments required. Prequalify For The Sam Ash Card!Read more
0% Interest for 36 Months
On select purchases $299 or more with your Sam Ash card now thru 10/31/21. 36-equal monthly payments required.
More on the way - call 800-472-6274 or chat for availability.
The Tone Beast is a mic pre that likes to be pushed and when pushed will colorize your signal ever so sweetly. The 2 opamps and 2 output transformers at the flip of their switches won't appear to be much different, but as one drives the pre into harmonic distortion, the unique character of each of these components becomes apparent.
The x731 (Melcor 1731) and x18 (Dean Jensen's 918) Op Amps saturate a bit differently. The 1731 breaks up faster and has more color when pushed. The 918 is fairly linear/clean with a smidge of character and does not break-up/saturate as quickly.
The 100% steel output transformer colors the signal more than the 50% nickel transformer when pushed. However, both are designed to impart character. The 50% nickel transformer will impart less character and provide greater high and low frequencies. For an ultra clean, character-lacking tone, try the x18 while bypassing the output transformers completely.
Additionally, the Tone Beast is customizable and allows for other opamps to be sourced and easily swapped into the unit. The output control on the TB12 allows you to limit the signal exiting the preamp even when pushing the gain to really hot levels, giving you maximum control. The TB12 is designed so that users can remove the stock opamps and replace them with their own. If you are a tone FREAK, you will love the ability to do this (beware that Warm Audio may not be able to warranty a unit that has been opened and tinkered with).
Home-based musicians and professional studios alike will find the Tone Beast to be an extremely powerful and fully professional piece of gear that is capable of warming and shaping signals/mixes in a way that is very pleasing to the ear.
- Discrete 312 preamp design with coupled CineMag Transformers
- 71db of gain
- Transformer selection provides both Steel and 50% Nickel CineMag output transformers for varying character
- Transformer bypass switch allows for removal of the output transformer from the circuit
- Discrete Opamp selection provides both the classic 1731(vintage) and 918(cleaner) style opamps. These are socketed/swappable with your choice of 2520 6 pin footprint opamps.
- Impedance switch labeled TONE to switch between 150 and 600 ohms input impedance
- Capacitor selection between Tantalum and Electrolytic for different characters
- 80hz hipass filter
- Polarity Reverse
- +48V phantom power
- Output attenuation allowing for saturation flexibility of both the opamps and transformers
- Balanced XLR mic, balanced TRS line, and ¼" instrument inputs
- -20db Pad
- LED VU Meter
- Designed for use in standard 500 series power racks