Student Violin Buyers Guide
If you’re looking for a student violin, then you’ve come to the right place – Sam Ash himself was a violinist for more than 85 years.
We take great pride in offering the best violins for students of all ages. Whether you or your child aspires to be a country fiddle player, rock violinist or classical player, it’s important to start with a quality instrument that provides the best sound and comfort for your specific needs.
As you might imagine, there is much to consider before you buy your first student violin. Violins come in a wide range in both quality and price. Student violins, like the Cremona SV-115, are typically made using more cost-effective materials so you don’t have to spend a fortune on an instrument you’re just beginning to learn.
At Sam Ash, every student violin is prepared with care by our experienced string instrument technicians who perform the following procedures:
- Tuning pegs are fitted so that they turn easily but still hold in place.
- The bridge is carefully fitted so that the strings are low enough for easy fingering but not so low as to introduce buzzing of the strings against the fingerboard.
- Each violin is restrung with quality American or German violin strings to provide it with optimal tone.
- The sound post inside the violin is properly placed for the richest sound.
- We carefully review different violins from around the world to help you select the best student violin for you or your child.
- All student violins are adjusted to the standards set by the Music Educator’s National Conference (MENC) so you can be confident that your child’s teacher will be satisfied with your choice.
Like the children who play them, student violins come in a variety of different sizes. A very small child won’t be able to handle a very large violin, and bigger children or adults who are learning to play will need something that’s comfortable for their size as well. For that reason, our violins come in six sizes ranging from full size (4/4) down to 1/16 size to accommodate all ages and proportions.
Adults almost always use a 4/4 size violin, but you can choose the right size for your child by measuring the length of their extended left arm from the top of the shoulder to middle of the palm. This measurement will give your child a comfortable size to work with while leaving a little space for growth.
If you end up picking out the wrong size, we can always exchange your violin free of charge within 60 days of purchase as long as you return it with all accessories in the original box. If you need more assistance in choosing the best student violin for you or your child, please call a Sam Ash professional at 1-800-472-6274 and we help you through the process.