Rupert Neve Designs 5211 2-Channel Microphone Preamp
0% Interest for 6 Months**
On Purchases of $199 or more with your Sam Ash credit card. Interest will be charged to your account from the purchase date if the promotional purchase is not paid in full within 6 months. Minimum Monthly Payments Required.Read more
0% Interest for 6 Months
On select purchases $199 or more with your Sam Ash card now thru 09/28/21.
The "Best of Both Worlds" Design
Unlike the Shelford Channel, which uses a mic input transformer for a more vintage topology, the 5211's input is fully transformer-less, maximizing signal clarity direct from the microphone. Combined with the more extreme saturation from both variable Silk and the custom output transformer's lower-headroom tap, the 5211 is capable of producing tones ranging from thick and warm to breathtakingly delicate and clear. It's the best of old and new alike.
The microphone input is balanced but not floating, using a Transformer-Like-Amplifier (T.L.A.) configuration to capture the microphone's signal in as pure a manner as possible. With the +48V phantom voltage switched off, this input serves as an extremely high-quality line input with an impedance of 10K Ohms. Each channel features 72 dB of extraordinarily low-distortion, low-noise gain using a stepped switch in 6 dB increments with a continuously variable +/-6 dB trim. Individually selectable polarity, +48V phantom power, and a swept high-pass filter from 20-250Hz are available to further control the input, with Silk control available for the outputs.
What is Silk? In brief, Silk is a tonal option applied within the unit's output stage that manipulates the signal's harmonic content to create the sonic character associated with Rupert Neve's vintage modules. By reducing negative feedback and saturating the output transformer while adjusting the frequency spectrum, Silk provides a sweet, musical enhancement of the input signal – and when the level is driven to the edge of its headroom, the Silk's effect is multiplied.
- Mic Gain: A 12-way precision rotary switch controls gain from 0 to 66 dB in 6 dB steps.
- Trim: Continuously variable +/-6 dB level control.
- Silk/Texture: Pushing the Silk button engages the red Silk circuit, which reduces the negative feedback on the output transformer, adding harmonic content as the texture is increased.
- Level Meter: An eight-segment LED bar-graph meter displays output level (pre-Silk). from -30 dBu to +22 dBu.
- Polarity: Reverses the polarity of the input signal.
- High Pass Filter: Continuously variable from 20Hz to 250 Hz, and engaged with the HPF button.
- Phantom Power: Provides 48V phantom power to microphones.
- -6dB Output: A secondary split off the output transformer with a lower headroom, designed to allow engineers to fully drive the output of the 5211 without clipping converters and other devices.
Things You Will Get: