I have a simple Midi controller in my studio and my wife has a full blown Keyboard in which we shared a sustain pedal. It never failed that we both a times needed the pedal so I decided to get myself something cheap because I don't do anything special and didn't warrant a high end pedal. I got this unit home and plugged it up. It worked decent for a few mins but then began having issues with not releasing or not sustaining altogether. It only took a moment to realize that the pedals design seemed to not allow for full release of the actual switch. I proceeded to open it and filed down the plastic and also ran some contact cleaner in the switch. It works perfect now to say the least and suites my needs just perfectly. :) Even on a student level I don't think I would recommend this product.