Marantz puts the world of professional field recording within easy reach with the PMD620, a rugged yet lightweight digital recorder that doesn’t skimp on features or performance. The PMD620 fits comfortably in the palm of the hand and houses two high-quality electret condenser microphones and a monitor speaker, making it ideal for go-anywhere field recording application, such as interviews, podcasting, and meeting recording – even live music.
• True handheld portability with one-touch stereo recording • Professional recording features and flexible file formats • Digital recording with file size limited only by SD card capacity • On-board editing and playback features • Full inputs and outputs, including USB 2.0 connectivity
A true handheld, the PMD620 features an intuitive layout and tactile buttons for easy one-hand operation, while a high-contrast organic LED (OLED) screen makes setup a cinch under any lighting conditions. Just hit the Menu/Store button and the interface quickly walks you through the choices to ensure optimal recording for your needs.
The PMD620 uses convenient SD/SDHC cards, the most stable and commonly available type of flash media. Audio can be recorded either as uncompressed WAV files or any of three quality levels of MP3, in mono or stereo. So whether it’s capturing an interview, a lengthy board meeting or a band’s jam session, the PMD620 is always ready for action.
The PMD620 shines in post-production as well. Journalists and podcasters will especially appreciate its non-destructive on-board editing. Transcription is a breeze with its Skip Back function, and file transfers to any computer are drag-and-drop simple with the USB 2.0 connectivity. In short, the PMD620 combines ease of operation, professional recording quality and insightful features in a compact, ergonomic design.
A True Handheld with Ergonomic Form Factor
At 2.5 by 4 inches by 1 inch and weighing under 6 ounces, the PMD620 slips easily into a pocket and fits comfortably in the palm of the hand, with oversized, tactile buttons that are laid out for intuitive, one-hand operation, from recording to playback. The high contrast OLED screen provides at-a-glance status of all critical functions, even offering a large font option. Integral high quality electret condenser microphones pick up the action, while LED telltales track Peak and Level conditions.
Professional Digital Recording
The PMD620 can record uncompressed WAV files for high fidelity stereo music, or lower resolution, mono MP3 files to maximize record time. For WAV files, choose from 16- or 24-bit linear PCM recording at either 44.1 or 48 kHz sample rates. Podcasters will appreciate having a total of six MP3 bit rates available, ranging from 192 kbps stereo down to 32 kbps mono. And, the menu selectable Auto-Input feature detects whether the line input or external mic input is being used, switching off the dual integrated mics automatically.
Stability and Portability
The PMD620 is a true handheld, light in weight yet ruggedly constructed. The use of SD cards as a recording medium provides the ultimate in space efficiency and stability, with no practical limit on file size. Two AA batteries, either alkaline or NiMH rechargeables, provide upward of five hours of operation.
On-board Editing and Playback Features
The PMD620 makes field production amazingly easy. Use the integrated speaker or mini-plug headphones to monitor or transcribe. The Copy Segment function extracts a piece of audio as a separate file while keeping the original intact, while the Skip Back feature acts as a preset “back up and replay” function, programmable for audio jumps of up to 59 seconds at the touch of a button.
Connectivity and Hardware
Despite its compact, slender profile, the PMD620 offers a full array of 1/8-inch stereo connectivity, including both line and mic inputs, a Line Out for playback, and a headphone jack for monitoring. A pair of convenient Up/Down buttons allows adjustment of input sensitivity, while the USB 2.0 port makes file transfers to any computer a breeze. Once connected, the PMD620 appears as a device on your PC desktop, with all files contained in a master folder. Just drag and drop any or all of them onto your desktop.
The PMD620 comes complete with SD card, audio and USB cables, AC adapter and more – everything needed to step into the world of high-resolution field recording.
Digital Audio System
• System Solid State Recorder
• Usable Media SD/SDHC
• Recording Format MP3 MPEG1 Layer III Compression, WAV 16/24 Bit Linear PCM
• Recording MP3 Bit Rate Stereo 192/128/64 kbps Mono 96/64/32 kbps
• Sample Rate 44.1/48khz
• Number of Channels 2 (Stereo) / 1 (Mono)
• Frequency Response 20Hz ~ 20kHz
• Signal-to-noise Ratio MIC 68dB, LINE, 80dB
• Total Harmonic Distortion at 0UV MIC, 0.06%, LINE 0.02%
• Dynamic Range 81dB
• External MIC Type 1/8" stereo jack, Input Sensitivity 6 mVrms/20 kohms
• Line Type 1/8" stereo jack, Input Sensitivity 500 mVrms/20 kohms
• Line Type 1/8" stereo jack, Standard Level 1.0 Vrms/10 kohms
• Headphone Type 1/8" stereo jack, Standard Level 16 mW/16 ohms
• Speaker Standard Level, 150 mW/ 8 ohms
• Power Consumption (Recording/Playback) 1.5W (DC)
• Battery Level (Alkaline) 5 Hours (Typical)
• Phantom Power 5V, 1mA (Max)
• Environmental Conditions
• Operational Temperature: 0~40C (32~104F)
• Operational Humidity: 25~85% (no condensation)
• Storage Temperature: -20~60C(-4~140F)
• Dimensions: Width 62mm (2.5") Height 102mm (4") Depth 25mm (1")
• Weight: 110g (4oz)
Included Accessories: Audio Cable, CD-ROM, USB Cable, Handy-Strap, AC Adapter, Customer Registration Document (U.S. Only), User Guide, Tripod/Belt-Clip Adapter, SD Card