Golden Age's PRE-573 is a 500-series reproduction of the famed Neve 1073 preamp, created with the same care and quality of the original, giving you the analog sound components you've dreamed of at an affordable price.
The goal for a 500 series product is to combine the power of major stand-alone components with the convenience of a smaller uniform size, fitting into the "lunchbox" design originated by API, placing multiple major components, side-by-side, into a box taking up 4 rackspaces on a rack or separate 500 series box, containing one power supply for all.
Golden Age's goal has been to bring the high standard and craftmanship of vintage components into a more affordable design. The result is offering you the sound quality and feel of components like the Neve 1073 channel while saving you enough money to buy more Golden Age quality modules to make your studio the world-class facility it deserves to be.
The Pre-573 is a one-channel preamp modeled after the 1073, with close attention painstakingly paid to authenticly reproducing the signal path and design, using the assembly processes and internal components that made the original as great as it is. The outputs are balanced with two separate transformers that treat the signals as the unique input personalities that they are, both mic and line.
The genuine personality of the warm, solid and beautifully "imperfect" analog sounds come through like the pre-digital age channel did when it was used in the recordings you grew up with real human voices, acoustic drums and guitars get to show off the character they possess, taking advantage of the headroom and sweetness only the 1073 could give you.
- Vintage Style electronics. No integrated circuits in the signal path.
- Transformer-balanced & fully floating output can drive a 600 ohms up to about 28 dBu.
- Maximum mic input is 80 dB, enough for passive ribbon mics and quiet sources.
- The total gain range goes from -15 to +80 dB. The 10 – 70 dB range is handled by a turn switch and a
- toggle switch selects an additional 5 or 10 dB gain.
- Switchable impedance on the mic input, 1200 or 300 ohms, will change the tone of many mics.
- The input can be configured to accept line level signals by another switch, the level is then lowered by
- about 25 dB and the input impedance increased to about 15 kohm.
- Switchable phantom power with a LED indicator.
- A flexible front panel instrument input for any sound module, electric guitar or bass that can be selected
- between a high impedance Active or a mid-Z Passive mode. These two DI-options makes it possible to get
- different tones from electric instrument. The Passive DI input mode is usually more suited for injecting
- active units like sound modules.
- The output level control makes it possible to make fine gain adjustments and also to overload the main
- gain stage(s) for more character and then lower the signal to a suitable level before the output stage.
- Insert jack for inserting Golden Age Project 500 Series effect units. The insert can be activated by removing
- a jumper at the back of the module.
- Phase switch.
- Selectable AIR equalizer adds a small boost above 10 kHz.
- A simple but effective signal and overload indicator is offered by a single LED that starts glowing red at
- about +4 dBu and then increases its intensity up to the maximum output level.
- Tantalum capacitors in the signal path.
- Selectable 600 ohm Output Termination at the back of the module.
- Circuit board star grounding scheme.
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use.
Things You Will Get:
Pre-573 Mic Pre