Serato Pitch n Time Pro (Pro Tools)
Pitch 'n Time Pro offers time compression and expansion from a ratio of 1/8 speed through to 8 x speed independent of pitch, and pitch shifting of up to 36 semitones independent of tempo. The time-stretching and pitch-shifting functions each have three interchangeable panels, ranging from simple fixed ratios to complex tempo and pitch alterations that vary over time. You can even warp the timing of your samples just by placing markers and moving them around. The tempo and pitch panels can be mixed and matched to suit your application, with real time previewing.
- Perfect Pro-Tools integration.
- Modify tempo from 12.5% to 800% of original and simultaneously pitch shift by ±36 semitones.
- Unrivalled and unprecedented processing quality.
- Unique patented time compression/expansion and pitch-shifting algorithm.
- No loss of timing accuracy.
- Process stereo tracks without phasing.
- Process Dolby matrix encoded tracks without losing surround information.
- Time stretch by tempo change, length change, target length, or target BPM.
- Select pitch shift by frequency change or semitone shift.
- Preview changes in real time.
- Fully Mac and Windows compatible
- Multi-Channel Mode - allows you to process up to 48 tracks together while maintaining their original phase coherency.
- Time-Morph - allows you to drop a marker at an event and move it anywhere; the audio flexes before and after to allow you to stretch out a single note, or even change the timing of a loop.
- Variable Pitch Mapping - allows you to pitch-correct individual notes, remove or create pitch slides, or even make a realistic record scratch sound.
- Variable Tempo Mapping - gives you the power to create variable tempo maps and changes over the length of your sample.
- Waveform Overview - means you can actually see the effects of your tempo map as it is applied directly to the waveform.
Why does Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro work better than other time and pitch shifters?
The answer is simple. Up until now researchers have looked at the problem of time stretching as a mathematical one, and applied objective mathematical techniques to the problem. They've failed, because they haven't properly defined what they're trying to solve.
It may seem obvious, but the perfect time stretch is one where the output sounds the same as the input, just faster or slower. The key word here is 'sounds', which means the problem isn't about waveforms or kilohertz - it's all about hearing.
Serato Audio Research has developed a sophisticated model of the human auditory system. In a sense, the software "listens" to the music, performing a sophisticated auditory scene analysis. Only by listening can it determine what 'sounds' the same, but faster or slower. Normally using such a sophisticated model of the human auditory system would be computationally prohibitive, so novel mathematical methods had to be developed by Serato to speed up this process in software.
What are the flaws of other methods of pitch and time shifting?
The biggest problem with existing products is the limited range of material that can be processed without introducing objectionable distortion. If you play your instruments one note at a time then what's already out there may work for you. That is, if you can get mysterious settings like 'tracking' just right. When you work in the real world, plug-ins shouldn't be telling you what you can and can't do. Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro has no confusing settings to tweak, and no nasty surprises. With Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro you can process a wider variety of material than ever before, and always know you're going to get the best sound quality. Anything from a bass line to guitar chords to drums, or lead vocals, backing vocals, or even a complete stereo mix!
Does Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro work with all bit depths?
Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro supports all bit depths available through AudioSuite.
Does Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro work with MP3 files?
Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro works with any audio selection within a DAW that supports AudioSuite. MP3 files have to be imported into a suitable DAW environment before they can be processed.
Does Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro work with time code selection?
Yes. Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro works with all six different formats of SMTE Time Code: 30 (frames per second) fps; 30 fps Drop Frame; 29.97 fps; 29.97 fps Drop Frame, 25 fps (EBU) and 24 fps. A Timecode Region has been specified in the Plugin Interface. Just select your desired end time position time code, and the plugin will calculate the required time stretch. Check your Protools Manual for more information on SMPTE Time Code.
Can Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro accurately time stretch from one time code frame rate to another?
Is Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro phase coherent?
Yes, Pitch 'n Time Pro supports phase coherent processing of stereo pairs.
Can Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro analyze beats?
Pitch 'n Time Pro includes a fast and simple BPM calculator for loops that will determine the BPM of a selection if you know how many bars and beats are selected.
What is the range of pitch shifting?
Plus or minus 36 semitones.
What is the range of time stretching?
From 12.5% to 800% of the original tempo.
How complex can the sound file be to work with Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro?
As complex, or as simple as you like - even a complete mix.
Will Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro be released as a TDM Plug-In? What about RTAS?
By it's very nature, TDM and RTAS are hard real-time architectures. This means that they rely on receiving a steady input and producing an output signal at the same rate, like an effects box on a guitar. Time-stretching a live signal is not logically possible, and therefore neither TDM nor RTAS can support a TCE plug-in. However, it is possible to create a real-time pitch shifting plug-in, because it does not alter the time base of a signal. Such a pitch shifting plug-in is currently in development by the Serato research team for both TDM and RTAS architectures.
Hardware: Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.3.9 (PPC or Intel)
Software: Pro Tools 6 HD, LE and M-Powere