Korg MR1 Digital Mobile Recorder
Korg's hand-held MR-1 provides high quality 1-bit/2.8 MHz recording and playback in a portable, pocket-sized package that is perfect for location recording, broadcast journalism, podcasting, live music performances – even for rehearsals and song-writing sessions. The internal 20GB drive offers up to 6 hours or recording at the highest audio quality (1-bit 2.8224 MHz stereo), or approximately twenty hours at CD quality (16-bit 44.1 kHz). The built-in USB 2.0 port provides fast and easy transfer of files between the recorder and your computer.
- 20GB internal HD
- up to six hours of recording** at the highest audio quality (1-bit 2.8224 MHz stereo)
- approximately twenty hours at CD quality (16-bit 44.1 kHz)
- high-speed USB 2.0 connectivity
- runs on AC or long-life rechargeable lithium polymer battery
- dual balanced mini plug inputs
- stereo mini plug output
- stereo electret condenser mic
- intuitive, menu-driven interface
- large backlit LCD for superb visibility
- Comes with Korg’s innovative and powerful AudioGate™ software for Mac® and PC.
By recording in 1-bit/2.8 MHz format you are assured that your most important, once-in-a-lifetime moments are captured in stunning detail, and ready for whatever the future brings you. And back in the studio it also provides superb final mix and archiving benefits.
Powerful new software bundled with the MR-1 recorder enables the conversion of your 1-bit recordings and mixes into all of today’s audio formats without degradation. Best of all, by archiving your data in 1-bit format you’re ready for the future, as playback systems and standards change.
Real world features
The MR-1 supports multiple recording formats including DSDIFF, DSF, and WSD 1-bit formats*, as well as multi-bit PCM format (BWF) with resolutions up to 24-bit/192 kHz.
It features a 20Gbyte internal hard drive, offering up to six hours of recording** at the highest audio quality (1-bit 2.8224 MHz stereo), or approximately twenty hours at CD quality (16-bit 44.1 kHz).
**The maximum continuous recording time is approximately six hours when using an AC adapter.
High-speed USB 2.0 connectivity provides for fast and easy transfer of files between the recorder and your computer. The MR-1 runs on AC or long-life rechargeable lithium polymer battery.
The ultra portable MR-1 includes dual balanced mini plug inputs and a stereo mini plug output. It includes a stereo electret condenser mic so the unit can be tucked away and the mic clipped or placed in a convenient location. It features an intuitive, menu-driven interface featuring a large backlit LCD for superb visibility.
A total of one thousand projects*** can be recorded in the MR-1, and file management functions such as Rename, Delete, and Protect can be easily applied to individual projects. Up to one hundred mark points can also be stored in each project.
***Recognizes a maximum of 200 projects for each format (WAV, DFF, DSF and WSD), max 1,000 projects
Free integrated software solution
The MR-1 comes with Korg’s innovative and powerful AudioGate™ software for Mac® and PC. AudioGate can convert 1-bit recordings into WAV and AIFF formats at various bit-rates (and vice versa) and offers real-time conversion and playback of 1-bit files using your computer’s audio hardware.
It also does essential functions like DC offset removal, gain control, and fade in/out. The combination of the MR-1 and this exclusive software makes the perfect system for both capturing and preserving your critical projects and source recordings. This archiving capability that had only been the domain of the major record companies and top studios is now available for everyone!
1-bit technology equals pristine fidelity
1-bit recording is the latest advancement in audio, and has been adopted for use in the critically acclaimed SACD recording format. It offers a frequency response of DC to 100 kHz and dynamic range of 120 dB. This uncompromising fidelity, low noise floor, extended dynamic range, lifelike imaging and analog quality depth has been praised by top experts. But there are other important advantages to the format that are of benefit to all recording professionals, regardless of their tracking platform.
Future proof flexibility
Today’s state-of-the-art 24-bit converters use high-speed 1-bit conversion to capture audio, using real-time decimation and other processes to present the data in the desired bit depth/sample rate format. The beauty of the MR’s bitstream format is that it uses the original 1-bit data, without the need for the other processes. What comes in comes out, with no manipulation needed.
As files are converted and reconverted between various bit depths and sampling rates, there are possibly degrading effects, depending on the sample rate conversion algorithms. The critical issue is that files mixed and mastered in today’s state of the art resolution may be insufficient for tomorrow’s formats. Archiving your final mixes and masters in a 1-bit system allows you to bypass these issues, and preserve your music with both the highest fidelity and in a more "universal" format. That data then can more easily be converted at a later date to the bit depth/sample rate format of your choice without compromising the integrity or fidelity of the data. You can even convert to newer formats that will be adopted in the future, be they multi-bit or a further migration to the 1-bit format.
Future Proof Recording Explained
DSF (DSD Stream File)
This is a DSD file format supported by some Sony "VAIO" personal computers (models with the "Sound Reality" engine) sold since September, 2005. This format is already supported by software such as "SonicStage Mastering StudioVer.2.0" and "DSD Direct," and it is expected that increasing numbers of software titles will support it in the future, including shareware and freeware.
WSD (Wideband Single-bit Data)
This is a 1-bit audio file format created by the "One-bit Audio Consortium." It accommodates all formats of one-bit audio data without limitation of channel number or sample rate. The "One-bit Audio Consortium" was established in 2001 with the goal of contributing to the advance of audio through research, development, and popularization of 1-bit audio technology, and its work is currently supported by more than sixty members.
- Number of Tracks: 2 tracks, 2-track recording/playback simultaneously
- Recording Formats: 1-bit audio formats - DSDIFF, DSF, WSD: 2.8224 MHz @ 1-bit
- PCM audio formats - WAV, BWF: 44.1 kHz @ 16/24-bit, 48 kHz @ 16/24-bit, 88.2 kHz @ 24-bit, 96 kHz @ 24-bit, 176.4 kHz @ 24-bit, 192 kHz @ 24-bits
- MP3 format - 44.1kHz/192kbps - playback 44.1kHz/32kbps-320kbps (MP3 format support will be added in an upcoming free update. This system updater is expected be available in the middle of 2007 via KORG distributor’s websites)
- Internal Hard Disk Drive: 20 GB
- Recording Time: Max Approx. 30 Hours (44.1 kHz @ 16-bit, 2-track)
- Number of Projects: Recognizes a maximum of 200 for each format, max 1,000 projects
- Mark Points: 100 points per a song (no mark name)
- USB Functions: USB 2.0 supported, ability to use as FAT32 external USB drive
- Song Editing: Rename, Delete, Protect
- Display: 160 x 104 dots LCD with backlight
- Frequency Response: 10Hz ~ 20kHz ±1dB @ Fs44.1/48kHz, 10Hz ~ 40kHz ±1dB @ Fs88.2kHz/96kHz/176.4kHz/192kHz, 10Hz ~ 100kHz (1 bit)
- S/N: 90 dB (typical) @ IHF-A INPUT-OUTPUT
- THD+N: 0.018% (typical) 20Hz ~ 20kHz
- A/D Conversion: 2.8224MHz (1 bit), 24 bit (PCM)
- D/A Conversion: 2.8224 MHz (1 bit), 24 bit (PCM)
- INPUT 1-2: Connectors: Mini Phone Jack (balanced) Input Impedance: 10 K Ohm, Nominal Level: LINE -6dBV, MIC -39dBV Maximum Level: LINE +6dBV, MIC -27dBV
- OUT (analog): Connector: Stereo Mini Phone Jack Nominal Level: -6 dBV Maximum Level: +6 dBV Load Impedance: 10 K Ohm or greater
- PHONES: Connector: Stereo Mini Phone Jack, Output Impedance: 16 Ohm or greater, Maximum Level: 40 mW + 40 mW @ 16 Ohm
- USB: Connector: Type B (mini) Format: USB 2.0 High-Speed device, USB mass storage class
- AC adaptor (also operates as charger)
- Owner's Manual
- Protective case
- Stereo mic (CM-2M)
- Mic clip stand
- "AudioGate" audio file conversion application on CD-ROM
System Requirements to Connect to PC:
- AudioGate Supported OS: Windows XP Home Edition/Professional Edition Service Pack 1 or later/Vista, Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later (Intel-based Mac supported).
Supported Computers: [Windows] Intel Pentium III 1 GHz or faster [Macintosh] Apple G4 800 MHz or faster (Intel-based Mac supported)
- Memory: 256 MB or larger (512 MB or larger recommended)
*"DSD" is a registered trademark
*Logos, product names and company names are their tradmarks or registered trademarks
CM-2M Mic Specifications:
- Element: Condenser, electret
- Polar Pattern: Stereo, directional
- Frequency Response: 100 -12,000Hz (12kHz)
- Sensitivity: 58dB +/-3dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Impedance: 680 Ohms
- Cable Length: 3.28 feet
- Weight: 1.76 ounces with cable
- Dimensions: 64 (W) x 120 (D) x 24 (H) mm / 2.52" (W) x 4.72" (D) x 0.94" (H)
- Weight: 200 g (including battery)
- Power Supply: Internal rechargeable battery (lithium ion polymer) or AC adapter model – KA290 5V 2.4A Center Pin (+)
- Current Consumption: 2.15 Watts