Apple Logic Studio 8 Digital Audio Software (Upgrade from Logic Pro 6 or 7) (Mac)
Logic Studio, Apple’s comprehensive suite of professional music and audio tools, provides musicians with everything they need to create in the studio, on the stage, and for the screen. Logic Studio includes Logic Pro 8, Apple’s legendary professional music production application featuring a new, intuitive interface; MainStage, an innovative new application for music performance; and Soundtrack Pro 2 for audio postproduction and sound design. It also includes Studio Instruments and Studio Effects, with 40 acclaimed instruments and 80 professional effect plug-ins; an expanded Studio Sound Library; and new production utilities—all in a single box at an incredible price.
Take your music from initial concept through final production and all the way to live performance using an innovative suite of products created specifically for musicians.
Logic Pro 8, a major upgrade to Apple’s leading music production application
MainStage, an innovative new application for live music performance
Soundtrack Pro 2, a streamlined audio post-production application for film and video
Studio Instruments, featuring 40 incredible-sounding instrument plug-ins
Studio Effects, featuring 80 professional effect plug-ins
Studio Sound Library, incorporating content from five Jam Pack collections and Final Cut Studio 2 to provide a total of 18,000 Apple Loops, 2400 channel strip settings, and 1300 EXS sampled instruments
New in Logic Pro 8:
The Arrange window in Logic Pro 8 consolidates production activities in a single, elegantly-designed workspace. You can record multiple takes; cut, move, or stretch audio with sample accuracy; browse channel strip settings; audition Apple Loops; and drop chords onto your lead sheet—all from one central space, without managing multiple windows.
Production-ready templates, a streamlined track setup window, and dynamic channel strip creation get you up and running fast. Improved ReWire support provides easy integration with other music applications.
Effortless multitake recording
Region-based take management speeds up multitake recording, editing, and processing. An expandable take folder makes it simple to recall overdubs, and entire take folders can be moved and edited like regions.
Quick Swipe comping
With breakthrough Quick Swipe comping, you can simply swipe over the best portions of each take to create a seamless comp, complete with transition-smoothing crossfades.
New audio editing tools
Work faster and with greater precision using powerful new features like snap-to-transient selection, graphical time stretching, and sample-accurate editing in the Arrange window.
Surround mixing and processing
Logic Pro 8 allows for end-to-end surround production with multichannel tracks and busses. True Surround and multi-mono support lets you use any surround, stereo or mono plug-ins within any surround project.
Save your key commands, channel strip settings and plug-in settings to your .Mac account for easy backup, sharing, and portability.
A simple serial number replaces the USB dongle and lets you make music without the hassle of extraneous hardware.
Complete Feature Set:Streamlined Interface
- Unified window design consolidates multiple edit and browser areas
- Library browser makes it easy to find audio files, channel strip settings, and plug-in settings
- Inspector provides convenient access to region and track parameters as well as primary mix functions via the innovative Dual Channel Strip
- Assign tools to mouse and view current assignments directly in the Arrange window
- Simple multiple track creation and setup
- Customizable tool and transport bars
- Context-sensitive shortcut menus
- Definable startup behavior
- Enhanced plug-in headers for all instruments and effects
- Global Tracks for graphical editing of key and time signatures, markers, tempo, and transposition
- Selectable time- and/or beat-based bar ruler for time-linear and/or beat-linear display in the Arrange window
- Waveform zoom slider for improved visibility of low-level signals
- Extensive zoom tools and functions
Ultimate Writing Studio
- Extensive MIDI composition
- Region-based quantize, transpose, gate, swing, and velocity control
- MIDI Groove templates
- Creative MIDI processing and routing in the Environment
- Caps Lock Keyboard for note entry using computer keyboard
- Custom and Hermode tuning
- MIDI step entry
- Full support for Apple Loops
- Apple Loops browser for finding and previewing loops based on tempo, key, style, and mood
- Export of MIDI and audio regions as Apple Loops
- Edit plug-ins and MIDI performances for Software Instrument loops
- Independent loop transposition
- Comprehensive loop tagging and editing with Apple Loops Utility
- Complete music notation
- Real-time transcription
- Instrument transposition
- Guitar tablature
- Drum notation
- Chord symbols
- Adaptive lyric input
- Automatic multibar rests
- Comprehensive palette of slurs, crescendis, and other ornaments
- Staff Styles for easy recall of multiple stave attributes
- Score Sets allow instruments to be combined for editing and print
- Layout and printing of complete professional scores
- Robust video playback features
- Embedded or floating video window display
- Digital Cinema Desktop for display of full-screen video on second monitor
- External video output via FireWire or DVCPRO HD
- Global video thumbnail track
- Scene detect option to mark video transitions automatically
- Fast and intuitive region looping
- Global chord track with automatic chord recognition
Professional Mixing and Automation:
Support for all standard surround configurations, including LCRS, Quad, 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1
- Support for multichannel interleaved and split surround audio files
- Play back, record, or process multichannel interleaved audio files
- Surround level metering
- Multichannel signal routing via sends, busses, and auxiliaries
- Graphic Surround Panner to manipulate mono or stereo streams within a surround field
- Graphic Surround Balancer to simultaneously balance all channels of surround input
- Support for Logic Studio True Surround plug-ins
- Built in multi-mono support lets you use any mono or stereo Logic Studio or Audio Units plug-in in a surround project
- Surround bounce and burn to DVD-A (PCM only) disc
- Dolby Digital AC-3 encoding and preview with Compressor
- Easy mixdown to stereo and surround formats using Down Mixer plug-in
Built for live performance, MainStage lets keyboardists, guitarists, and other musicians perform with software instruments and effects through a full-screen interface designed specifically for the stage.
- New View for the Stage
MainStage features a stunning 3D interface created for the stage, providing just the information you need for your live show.
- Keyboard Racks
Get started quickly using keyboard templates featuring Studio Instruments and Studio Effects, or build your own custom rack with personalized sounds, layers, and splits.
MainStage helps you quickly customize your live rig by offering a wide selection of templates designed for different instruments and performance styles.
- Hardware Control
From keyboards and drum pads to pedal boards and control surfaces, you can use any MIDI or USB controller with MainStage.
- Guitar Rigs
Find the perfect tone right out of the box with guitar templates featuring Guitar Amp Pro, or build your own custom rig that you can control with hardware pedal boards.
- Made for Performance
MainStage provides stability under even the most demanding conditions, so you can perform live with confidence.
Soundtrack Pro 2
Completing the bridge between sound and picture, Soundtrack Pro 2 allows musicians to take their creative inspirations to the screen. Comprehensive editing tools, surround mixing, and seamless integration with Final Cut Pro make audio post-production a breeze.
- Streamlined Multitrack Interface
A single-window design and an integrated multichannel audio editor simplify the audio post-production process and let you focus on creating and editing great sound.
- Dialogue Tools
Record, edit, and restore dialogue quickly, easily, and with precision using the Multitake Editor, Lift & Stamp audio matching, and automatic find and fix features.
- Mixing for Picture
Create mixes for film and video projects in both stereo and cinematic surround. Save time and effort by creating simultaneous surround and stereo mixes in the same project.
- Advanced Audio Editing
Professional tools designed for post-production include spectrum view editing, tape-style scrubbing, and the multichannel Waveform Editor.
- Sound Design
Create pristine soundtracks using thousands of royalty-free sound effects and music beds, or customize sounds with action-based editing. Accurately spot sound to picture with the 3-up multipoint spotting display.
Seamlessly collaborate with the world of Final Cut editors and easily share projects and files between Soundtrack Pro 2 and other popular audio and video applications.
Featuring 40 powerful instrument plug-ins seamlessly integrated into Logic Pro 8 and MainStage, Studio Instruments provides the largest software instrument package available in a single box.
Build big beats with Ultrabeat, expanded with more than 50 new drum kits featuring 400 new patterns and over 1000 new sounds. Step automation and Full View drum grid editing give you more power than ever.
Create expressive and unusual sounds in mono, stereo, and full surround with the world’s most advanced component modeling instrument. New True Surround features allow you to animate sound through surround space.
Produce beautiful synth beds and driving bass lines with an array of FM, subtractive, and analog-modeled synthesizers. The flagship ES2 synth now features surround panning and modulation effects and a simplified Macro view.
- EXS24 Sampler
Play over 1300 EXS instruments included in the Studio Sound Library, and quickly make sample instruments and sample libraries with the integrated, redesigned EXS Editor.
- Vintage Instruments
Play fully modeled simulations of vintage keyboards, including classic organs, clavs, and electric pianos.
Enhance music productions, live performance, and post-production projects with 80 professional effect plug-ins.
- Delay Designer
Build creative delay effects in stereo or full surround with the new multi-tap delay plug-in.
- Guitar Amp Pro
Recall classic tones with a guitar amp plug-in featuring 11 amp models, 15 speaker cabinets, microphone controls, and a dedicated effects section.
- Creative effects
Transform audio and create shifting fields of sound using advanced reverb, modulation, vintage, warped, and delay plug-ins.
- Space Designer
Reproduce the reverberant qualities of some of the world’s most distinctive locations in stereo or full surround — with over 130 new spaces and new surround controls.
- Production effects
Fine-tune your audio production with a range of superb-sounding plug-ins. A new Surround Compressor lets you compress multichannel surround sources, and a redesigned Multipressor displays all controls for all bands in a single window.
Studio Sound Library
Thousands of channel strip settings, Apple Loops, sound effects, and EXS sampled instruments provide creative fuel for music creation, production, and performance. New surround content allows you to build beautiful, immersive productions.
- Jam Packs
The Studio Sound Library comes with five Jam Pack collections, featuring redesigned content that incorporates the professional sound quality of Studio Instruments and Studio Effects.
- Channel Strip Settings
2400 professionally-designed channel strip settings offer combinations of Studio Instruments and Studio Effects that can be used right out of the box or customized to fit your personal sound.
- Surround sound
Move your productions into surround using 600 royalty-free surround channel strip settings and over 1000 multichannel sound effects and music beds.
- Apple Loops
18,000 royalty-free Apple Loops let you build a rhythm, grab a melodic phrase, or simply sketch out an arrangement. Create and tag your own loops with the included Apple Loops Utility.
- EXS Instruments
1300 EXS instruments provide a world of beautifully sampled, authentic sounds.
Useful Utilities Included
Impulse Response Utility
Re-create the sonic responses of your favorite spaces — from a tiny wine cellar to Notre Dame cathedral — with a multitrack audio recording, editing, and deconvolution utility. You can create your own mono, stereo, discrete surround, and B-Format surround impulse response files and use them in Space Designer, the world-class convolution reverb plug-in included with Logic Studio. Impulse Response Utility features a single window that includes all parameters and functions needed to create Impulse Response files, including Waveform, Energy, and Spectogram display modes for detailed editing.
WaveBurner is a powerful, easy-to-use tool for CD mastering and authoring. Its intuitive layout features a large waveform viewer; separate region, track, and plug-in panes; and advanced editing and navigation tools. Professional Studio Effects plug-ins make it simple to master the perfect disc. And while WaveBurner makes quick turnaround demo discs a breeze, it also provides a comprehensive set of authoring tools for delivering professional premasters and Red Book standard CDs.
Apple Loops Utility
Apple Loops Utility allows you to convert any audio file to an Apple Loop. You can add metadata to specify the attributes of the file, making it easy to locate from the built-in Loops browser in Logic Pro 8 and Soundtrack Pro 2. Apple Loops Utility also permits the addition of tags that describe the rhythmic elements of the audio file. These tags, which are generated from analysis and transient detection of the sound file, allow for real-time stretching of audio data in any application that supports Apple Loops.
CompressorMinimum requirements to install all applications
Compressor simplifies content delivery, giving musicians, producers, and engineers a complete set of tools for encoding pristine audio and video in a variety of formats. Compressor is the engine behind the powerful audio and video export functions in Soundtrack Pro, and it allows Logic Studio users to encode and preview in the industry-standard Dolby Digital AC-3 surround format. In addition to the dozens of built-in formats, third-party encoders can be used as plug-ins. Logic Studio also includes QuickTime Pro, which provides additional export options for audio and video.
Additional recommendations for Logic Pro
- Mac computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor (PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor highly recommended)
- 1GB of RAM (2GB or more highly recommended)
- Display with 1024-by-768 resolution (1280-by-800 or higher recommended)
- Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
- QuickTime 7.2 or later
- DVD drive for installation
- PCI Express, ExpressCard/34, USB, or FireWire based audio interface recommended
Surround requirements for Logic Pro and Soundtrack Pro
- At least 2GB of RAM for large EXS instruments
- USB musical keyboard (or suitable MIDI keyboard and interface) for instruments
- Logic Node requires a Mac computer with a PowerPC G5, Intel Core, or Intel Xeon processor and Gigabit Ethernet
Available disk space
- Mac computer with dual PowerPC G5 processors or an Intel Core Duo or Xeon processor
- Multichannel audio interface
- 7GB to install all applications and required content
- Additional 39GB to install all optional content (large content packages can be installed on separate disk):
- 10GB for Jam Pack collections
- 16GB for sound effects
- 6GB for surround music beds
- 7GB for other optional content
- DVD containing Logic Pro 8, MainStage, Soundtrack Pro 2, Studio Instruments, Studio Effects, WaveBurner 1.5, Compressor 3, Impulse Response Utility, Apple Loops Utility, QuickTime 7 Pro, and required content
- Six content DVDs containing Jam Pack collections, sound effects, surround music beds, EXS24 samples, and impulse response files
- Demo content DVD
- Printed and electronic documentation
||Up to 255
||Logic Studio 8
||Mac computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor (PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor highly recommended)
|Number of Tracks
||65 or more
||Includes Full Suite of Editing and Burning Tools
||WaveBurner, Soundtrack Pro, Studio Instruments, Studio Effects, AppleLoops Creator, MainStage, Impuse Response Utility, and Content Compressor
|Simultaneous Recording Tracks
||Complete Studio Effects and Studio Instrument Series
||WAV, AIFF, MP3, MIDI, GarageBand
|Sampling Rate kHz
|Other Plug in Format
Apple Logic Studio 8 Digital Audio Software (Upgrade from Logic Pro 6 or 7) (Mac)