Sterling by Music Man Ray35Q Quilt 5-String Electric Bass GuitarSKU: SRAY35QMA-P
- Images 1
Select to Compare
The Sterling by Music Man Ray35Q Quilt holds true to the legendary original StingRay 5 with its comfortably contoured, instantly recognizable double-cutaway body. Paying homage to the premium Ball Family Reserve EBMM StingRay model, the body is crafted from African mahogany and paired with striking quilt maple for superb tone and gorgeous aesthetics. The Anique Maple finish really highlights the top beautiful figure. The 34"-scale maple neck is capped with a 21-fret, 12"-radius rosewood fingerboard for a great playing feel while the matching headstock adds a touch of elegance.
Fitted with a single Ernie Ball Music Man-designed Alnico-equipped humbucker and the award-winning 3-Band active preamp, the Ray35Q dishes out incredible tone with plenty of low-end punch and power. The versatile 3-way switch and Bass, Mid, and Treble control knobs make it easy dial in your perfect sound.
High-quality chrome hardware includes a set of open-gear tuners and a heavy duty fixed Sterling By Music Man bridge. Case not included.
Get your Sterling by Music Man Ray35Q Quilt 5-String Electric Bass Guitar today at the guaranteed lowest price from Sam Ash Direct with our 45-day return and 60-day price protection policy.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Fun To Play
- Good Feel
- Good Pick Up
- Good Tone
- Solid Electronics
- Fret Buzz
- Poor Quality Craftsmanship
- Rock Concerts
Comments about Sterling By Music Man Ray35q Quilt 5-String Electric Bass Guitar:
This is a 1 month review. Mine was bought from Sam Ash as a staff used unit.
- Mediocre factory setup. Action way too high to the point that the low B was almost impossible to slap. Way too much neck relieve. At least the nut height was right so it wasn't too time consuming to correct the rest.
- Buzzing on the 11th and 12th frets on the low B, 7th on the D, and 11th on the G suggests frets are a little uneven.
- Cannot raise the pickup to the height as recommended in the Music Man FAQ page before the foam(?) underneath the pickup topped out.
- Cracks in the finish around the machine head of the E string!
- Seems to have some impurities locked into the finish at a few spots on the the maple neck. You can feel them when you run your hand up and down the neck. A little annoying but not a problem big enough to affect playability.
- Subpar packaging. Mine came in a gigbag inside the factory cardboard box with NOTHING inside to fill the empty space. Fortunately nothing was damaged during shipping.
- It sounds just like a MM Stingray. I don't have a MM around to A/B so I'm working from memory here.
- Stunning quilt maple top. Probably the nicest looking Ray copy available.
- All the controls work well. The pickup sounds great. You can get a broad range of sounds out of it.
- The rosewood fretboard gives a mellower slap tone than maple. This is a plus for me but may not be for everyone.
- Fast and comfortable neck. The neck shape is perfect for me. I have no problem doing all I want on it.
Was it worth it? After weighing the pros and cons I would have to say yes. Other than a few annoyances, you get the Stingray sound and great playability for a fraction of the price of a real Ray.
Number Of Frets 21 Scale Length 34" Nut Width 45mm Fingerboard Radius 12" Body Style Double Cutaway Neck Type Bolt On Neck Wood Maple Fingerboard Rosewood Body Wood African Mahogany Top Quilt Maple Pickup Configuration H Bridge Pickup Alnico Humbucker, SBMM Design Bridge Type Fixed, SBMM Design Tuning Machines Open Gears Orientation Right-Handed Case/Bag Included No Series Ray35 Model Ray35Q
Sterling by Music Man (referred to as SBMM) warrants for one year to the original retail purchaser that this instrument is free from defects in materials and workmanship. Any defect in materials, parts or workmanship, once determined to be defective by SBMM within the first year from purchase date will be repaired or replaced at the sole discretion of SBMM.
• This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, unauthorized modifications or repairs, normal wear and tear from regular use.
• This warranty is only valid to the original retail purchaser and is not transferrable.
• SBMM & Praxis Musical Instruments Inc are not liable for any potential losses or other liabilities resulting from the inability to use this product.
• All warranty work, service or replacement of parts must be approved by SBMM Praxis Musical.
• Return Authorizations expire within 30 days of their issuance. Please ship your instrument to us in a timely manner.
• Under normal circumstances, repairs are completed within 2-4 weeks upon receipt. Should your instrument require additional time, you will be contacted by our Service Department advising you as to the time frame of repair.
Please contact Praxis Musical Instruments Inc. at (714) 532-6657 to obtain a Return Authorization Number. The instrument will need to be returned to their facility with all freight costs prepaid and insured for the List Price Value of the instrument to:
Praxis Musical Instruments Inc.
1850 W. Collins Ave
Orange, CA 92867