A-Designs EM-EQ2 Pultec-Style EQSKU: AEMEQ2XXX-P
- Images 4
Select to Compare
The classic Pultec EQP-1A has been used, modified and revered for decades, due to it's uncanny ability to improve the sonic quality of any signal it touches, even before it's adjusted.
Replicating the Pultec's sound and construction quality in an dual-channel version is an accompishment in itself, especially when it's made available at a fraction of the price. This is one reason the EM-EQ2 was nominated for a TEC award in Signal Processing Technology.
With a "colored" EQ like this, you can rely on it actually giving you a head start in improving the sound, whereas a "corrective" or "surgical" unit would rely completely on your own adjustments to fix things like the bottom-end. Using the second channel or even if you have more than one unit, you can utilize its abilities to add its magic to other parts of the spectrum, making your own adjustments that much more effective.
A-Designs has taken the best elements of this all-time great yet exceedingly rare and expensive piece and optimized it for the modern studio. You also get two channels for less than the price of many manufacturer's mono units without a single compromise in build or sonic quality.
Those familiar with the old units or current plugin offerings will be able to dive right in, but for those not familiar with this type of EQ, fear not. The inherently smooth, non destructive nature of this inductor EQ is a joy to use. Just a few minutes on it will have you hooked.
- Filter section and Controls-Fully passive filter section using the same control layout as the classic units including a faithfully wound multi-tapped inductor by a Cinemag transformer.
- 4 Band shelving Low EQ with boost and Cut controls-Controls may be used separately or in tandem to archive the famous "Pultec Trick" shown below. Mastering engineers worldwide rely on this EQ for giving that extra touch of bass to the low end. A 2db boost at 60hz is a magical setting on this box. The low end, in general, is the most remarked about feature on this unit.
- 7 band mid and high band peaking filter with a boost control and variable Q-The Q control allows you to vary the width of the band being boosted from broad to sharp. The large multi-tap inductor in this section allows you to musically boost mids and highs more than any other eq you may have used.
- 3-Band shelving high attenuator for subtle darkening of tracks and mixes-Gold Contact relay hard bypass on each channel. Bypass has zero circuitry and simply connects the input XLR to the output XLR.
- Amplifier - The EM-EQ2 uses the amplifier from the successful Pacifica Mic Pre and a hi-nickel Cinemag output transformer. Frequency response and headroom is much higher than the original tube units. This is very important in today's age of big bass. Hiphop, rock and dance music engineers will find this especially useful.
- Impedance - The original Pultec EQP1a had 600 ohm input and output impedance designed to match telephone lines and to maximize power transfer. Today's studio equipment is no longer based on this impedance matching, but instead on impedance bridging where a low impedance source feeds a much higher impedance load in order to maintain the highest level of voltage and signal integrity. The EM-EQ2 has a 48k input impedance and a 75 ohm output impedance which are both ideal for mating with today's line level equipment as well as vintage gear.
- Mastering - Tightly matched channels make the EM-EQ2 an excellent choice for the mastering studio seeking a great stereo equalizer.
- Mixing -The Pultec style eq is the mixing engineers go to box and a well matched stereo pair is rare so this unit sees heavy use on individual tracks and sub-mixes, especially drums.
- Low end - The EM-EQ2 is well suited to low frequency material and for bringing out the best bass possible from your tracks. The optimized impedances and headroom allow for huge bass swings without distortion.
Series . Model Ventura Weight 16.5 lb. Dimensions 19” x 1.75” x 10” (WxHxD)