The company we now know as Electro-Voice began in 1927 as a service shop fixing radio receivers. By 1930, the two partners Lou Burroughs and Al Kahn saw an opportunity in the field of microphones. Realizing that the existing options were either poor quality or too expensive, the pair starting producing their own to the tune of one a week. By 1936, they had a staff of twenty. They expanded operations in the forties with a successful line of phonograph cartridges. The 1950s saw the first line of loudspeakers. The company was awarded an Academy Award in 1963 for a shotgun microphone which revolutionized audio in films and was the first ever given to an audio product.
In the decades that followed Electro-Voice established themselves as the leader in broadcast audio and professional sound systems, consistently developing ground-breaking technologies in all aspects of live sound and recorded audio